Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Basilica of Sacré Coeur; A Hidden Treasure of Paris


Finally arriving at the top of 134 steep, cracked steps, I was thrilled to have finally reached the summit of my destination in the Montmartre district of Paris. As I squinted against the sun while establishing my bearings, the reason for my ascent came into focus- The Basilica of Sacré Coeur. While the climb to the Sacré Coeur left me wishing I had my inhaler and my calves feeling like they were on fire, the work to reach the top of the hill and the basilica was absolutely worth the hike. As if my lack of breath wasn’t already sufficient, as I gazed out from the crest of the hill to what seemed like a view only found in magazines. All of Paris was looking up at me, leaving me with a feeling of invincibility all the while humbling me and leaving me honored to have the chance of a lifetime to explore Europe.

As I turned my focus back to the basilica, which began construction in 1875, I was astounded that a church with such stunning views and breathtaking architecture wasn’t the most popular in Paris. Built in a Romano-Byzantine architectural style, which traditionally gave rise to Baroque and Neoclassical architectural styles, the basilica displays very elaborate designs with large statues of canonized saints placed symmetrically around the basilica. While the Byzantine style, when represented in its purest form, shows little symmetry, the Sacré Coeur is built with near perfect symmetry when viewed from the front. The following site has great additional information on the architecture of the basilica- http://sacre-coeur-montmartre.com/us/butte.html. Having arrived at the butte from the side, I initially thought the church was completely unsymmetrical. As I made my way around the towering domes and ornate statues standing guard over the entrance, the symmetry of the church struck me like a ton of bricks. Already having a fascination for churches, I was stunned I hadn’t heard more about an amazing church that had, in my opinion, the most spectacular views of the city of Paris. Having chosen to visit the church based on its proximity to my hotel, I felt as if I had found my own little wonder of the world.

The Sacré Coeur, which boasts a massive bell tower, which until the Eiffel Tower was build, was the highest point in the city. While access to the tower is not open to the general public, it is not at all necessary to appreciate the majestic, picturesque views provided from the top of the hill. As I turned my gaze from the church to the views of the city in the distance, my gaze fell upon the Eiffel Tower, then the Arc de Triomphe, and finally to the Louvre. As complete bliss and astonishment began to fill me from feet up (possibly due to the blood rushing through my feet back to my heart) I found it hard to comprehend that I was truly in Paris, living the life many only dream of.

My mind then wandered to the question of how a Roman Catholic Church came to hold such an impeccable location in Paris. As I began to ponder this question, I recalled the power the church has held throughout the ages. Following the rise of Christianity, the Church has continued to be a superpower in the world, costing countless lives and boasting a massive following. The Sacré Coeur, unlike many other churches, was built entirely through donations from Parisians, which acts as a superior demonstration of the dedication many people hold to religion.

As I turned my gaze from the city back to the basilica, I noticed how incredibly white and vibrant the exterior of the church appeared. To me, it seemed like a sort of divine intervention to witness a church so pure and white. I found myself caught between feelings of skepticism and bewilderment. Naturally, I thought the church had recently undergone reconstruction and restoration, an explanation to the pure white color. When I read a pamphlet from the basilica, I learned that my assumption as to the color of the church was incorrect. The stone that composes the walls of the church was quarried in Chateau-Landon, France. The region surrounding Chateau-London is rich in travertine, a stone that constantly extrudes calcite that in tern keeps the basilica white despite aging and pollution. The following link is a great explanation of travertine and its used in architecture today-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travertine

The Basilica of the Sacré Coeur doesn’t simply showcase the power and might of the Catholic Church. It also serves as a place of worship for thousands as well as the destination of countless pilgrims on religious journeys. Moreover, the basilica serves as a constant reminder of the transition of architectural styles throughout the ages. After enjoying the unimaginable views of Paris, I feel it is safe to say the Basilica of SacréCoeur is truly one of the treasures of Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment